Below are the 25 categories of the 2014 Undergraduate Awards programme. These umbrella categories may include a variety of fields. There is a separate judging panel for every category, composed of experts from the various topics within each field.
Unsure which category is for you? Here’s a simple guide:
1. Refer to the title of your degree. For example, if you’re studying law, and your essay focuses on corporate law, it should be submitted to law rather than business.
2. If you’re still confused, go by the department in which you study, or by the department of the lecturer who oversaw the assignment.
3. If you’re submitting work from a broad curriculum, chose the category that best fits the department of that course.
4. Still not sure? Email Bella@undergradauteawards.com with the name of your degree course and the title of the work in question.
All work must be submitted through English, apart from the following categories:
- Languages & Linguistics
- Irish Language
- Students of business, including marketing, accounting, tourism, organisational behaviour, etc.
Chemical & Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Students of the chemical sciences and pharmacy.
Classical Studies & Archaeology
- Students of archaeology and classics.
Computer Sciences & Information Technology
- Students of computer sciences and information technology, including computer systems, coding languages, AI, etc.
- Students of world cultures, including popular culture, human geography, etc.
- Students of design for the purpose of production, including product design, graphic design, furniture design, architecture, etc.
- NB: please include all images within the text document.
Earth & Environmental Sciences
- Students of the natural environment and ecosystems including agriculture, geography, geology, etc.
- NB: students of human geography please submit to Cultural Studies
- Students of economics.
- Students of education theory and practice.
Engineering & Mechanical Sciences
- Students of engineering – including structural, computer and chemical engineering etc – and the mechanical sciences.
Languages & Linguistics
- Students of languages other than their native tongue, and linguistics.
- Students of all literature.NB: quotations must be in the English language.
- NB: quotations must be in the English language.
- Students of history.
- NB: Students of art history should submit to Media & The Arts.
International Relations & Politics
- Students of politics and international relations.
- Students of Irish culture, folklore and literature through the Irish language.
- Students of all areas of law.
- Students of the biological sciences, including paeleontology, biochemistry, biotechnology, etc.
Mathematics & Physics
- Students of mathematics and all areas of physics.
Media & The Arts
- Students of media and the arts, including art history, journalism, drama, music, etc.
- Students of the practice and science of health, healing and patient treatment, including dentistry, physiotherapy, veterinary, etc.
- NB: not including Pharmacy students, who should submit to Chemical & Pharmaceutical Sciences
Nursing & Midwifery
- Students of nursing and midwifery.
Philosophical & Theological Studies
- Students of philosophy and theology, including religions.
- Students of psychology.
- Students of society, including criminology, anthropology, social policy, etc.
- Students of art and craft primarily for visual perception, including photography, textiles, sculpture, etc.
- NB: this is a non-essay based category.