The Visual Arts category is designated specifically for the practical coursework component of art, craft and design students.
Unlike the rest of the essay-based categories for the 2016 UA Programme, the Visual Arts category requires students to submit images from their artist’s portfolio in .pdf or .jpeg format.
The Visual Arts category is open to:
• Final and penultimate year undergraduate students enrolled in degree programmes in the academic year 2015/2016 (full-time and part-time).
• Recent graduates who were final year students enrolled in degree programmes at any third level institution in the academic year 2014/2015 (full time and part time).
Eligible submissions are drawn from the practical pieces coursework of art, craft, and design undergraduate students. All coursework must:
• Embody a piece of individual, independent and original work.
• Have achieved at least a II.1 or an A grade.
• Be submitted for adjudication in the form of a portfolio of images in .pdf or .jpeg format.
• No more than 10 images are to be submitted (including one installation photo).
• Links to anonymous YouTube/ Vimeo links may be included if appropriate.
You will be required to include an Artist Statement (max 500 words) along with the portfolio of your work. It is recommended that this include:
• An overview of your artistic practice as a whole.
• If your practice is rooted in any particular theory, philosophy, literature etc.
• What (or who) interests, inspires and motivates you.
• Some information on your process, if there is a particular way that you like to work.
• Details about the specific body of work submitted.
• If appropriate, you may select one or two specific works to describe in more detail.
Artist Statements must be anonymous. Please ensure that you do not include any of your personal details (name, institution of study, name of supervisor/lecturer, student number, awards or prizes won) in your Artist Statement or on the images/links submitted. Failure to do so will result in instant disqualification.
If you are submitting to the Visual Arts & Design category please submit your coursework in this section. This is to allow the submission of photos of your work along with your essay. The deadline for submissions to the 2016 programme is 14th June 2016. If you need to check time zone here is the website we use, type in ‘Dublin’ as the city.